Thursday, November 20, 2008

steven spielberg: still hot at 61

i'm in a spielberg class, and we have to write weekly responses to various spielberg films/writings/whatevs. here are some to entertain you.

Like many children, I had frightening dreams about Jurassic Park for the majority of my childhood. Although, or perhaps because, the movie scared me for a long time, I am often reminded of a scene of the film while going about my daily activities. For instance, every time I see a Jeep Wrangler on the road, my first instinct is to stay away, as there might be a dinosaur nearby. As I pass through the oatmeal aisle in Publix, I always take a moment to stare fondly at the Dinosaur Eggs Maple and Brown Sugar Quaker oatmeal box and reminisce of the days when I used to eat that oatmeal only because it made me feel like I was actually in Jurassic Park. During a thunderstorm, I am often struck with the image of Sam Neill and two children hiding in a tree in the woods. Slightly frustrating is the fact that whenever I see Jeff Goldblum in a different acting role, I can’t help but giggle and picture him as a crazy mathematician dressed in black and acting like a rock star.
My very favorite “I love Jurassic Park” story goes like this: In middle school, I was a member of a softball team called “Velocity.” Always better cheerleaders than softball players, my two best friends from the team and I had a dance that consisted of us hopping around with our hands in the form of claws, saying, “Velociraptors, raah!” I don’t think any of the three of us ever scored a run in a single game that season, but we sure had a good time acting like vicious dinosaurs. (WORD UP, JESSIE CARR.)

----------------
Now playing: Incubus - Just a Phase

No comments: